Monday, July 3, 2017

Week 85: "How much of life do we miss by waiting to see the rainbow before thanking God for the rain" - Dieter F Uchtdorf

A Nice View
Transfer news is in; Not much is happening in the district. One of the areas in my district is being shut down. Sister Israel is training a new sister from Liberia. Elder Reeves is getting a new companion named Elder Beall. He is a really cool guy. Elder Taunuu and Elder Randall are staying together. My Companion and I will remain together and I will be the district leader here. I have been thinking a lot about this since I got the call Saturday, how we have pretty much all experienced missionaries in my district and why the call came to me instead of a more experienced Elder. Well turns out I have been prepared my whole mission to do this job. I know I have. I have been involved in many district meetings and have had many opportunities to teach. My area is doing really well. This is the right time that I needed to be called. This is the best time. The Lord saw that I needed to serve. I'm very humbled to be able to serve. The Lord qualifies those He calls. I'm very excited to do this.

My District

Samuel's Baptism
The reason for my subject of the email is this week has been a struggle for me emotionally. This week I was having a lot of thoughts about how hard this work is, how hard Ghana is and how long I have been patient and have dealt with all these hardships. I have thought a lot this week of how I'm going to keep this fire going, and also how I will even survive the 4 months I have of my mission. It's just been a struggle for me and I can't imagine some of the things the others in my district are going through since 2 of them go home at the end of the transfer. It seems that when we are going through difficult times it easy for us to forget the little things that God does for us and the things he has done for us in the past. From a missionary's point of view how much time do we waste thinking of all the trials instead of thinking about other people's happiness or the blessings that God has in store for us? This hit me very hard on Sunday when one of my recent converts got up and bore a powerful testimony of how she has found the true church and that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God, and that the Book of Mormon is really true. These 3 simple but powerful phrases really hit me that I have really been worried so much about myself this week and not so much worried about these wonderful people in Africa. I have been worried about all the negative things and forgetting just how much of a positive influence I really have on people and how important I really am in the sight of God.

Birthday Pizza

Aftermath of the B-day Celebration

Lambson and I

Randall and I

So many of us think so much upon an end result that we forget that we are engaged in a journey and end up losing out on the experiences of the adventure. I guess what I'm trying to say is understand that everyone has a purpose and we are all expected to do hard things. It is the plan of our Heavenly Father. Actions have consequences. Usually if we make a bad choice the consequence is bad. Usually if we make a good choice we are rewarded in some way. Think about how much more happy we would be if we forgot ourselves and did the Lord's will. Heavenly Father will always reward his Children who do his will. I know that through the Atonement of Jesus Christ we can overcome any hardship. I also know that when we focus on the Lord's will he will lift us up and do wonders for us. I cannot sit here and type everything that God has done for me because I have come to realize how much he is a part of my life. I will forever be grateful for this Gospel. I will forever be grateful for my wonderful loving and kind parents who brought me up in this Gospel. I will forever be grateful that I made the decision to come on mission and serve these wonderful and beautiful people of Ghana. I will forever be grateful of the power of prayer. And last but not least I am grateful for the Book of Mormon and its power.

Enjoying a Wedding

Me and my companion

Samuel's Baptism

Well we managed on having a baptism this week so I am pretty happy with that and we were able to get 5 investigators at Sacrament Meeting. Our struggle this week was new investigators but to be honest we are having so many people to teach that it's getting overwhelming haha. But as we increase our teaching pool the chances of baptism will also increase!

No comments: