Monday, August 15, 2016

Week 39: Hearing Another Apostle, Baptism, and Testimony

Fresh
Accra Temple

This is what it looks like when you don't change a filter...surprised I'm not sick!


So this week we had a baptism for our investigator (well now a member) Abraham. Everything went well with the baptism and due to the lack of attendance, I am happy with how everything turned out! He is now a member! He will be a good help to the ward. I am excited to see how much more he will grow closer to our Savior, Jesus Christ!



The struggle is real here. I'm still trying to figure out the area because it's big. But I know I can do it. I would say that has been the only struggle is just the stress of trying to learn this place very well.

On Thursday this week we went to the Elder David A. Bednar YSA (Young Single Adult) devotional with our investigator. He seemed to enjoy it very well and non-stop he was saying how beautiful the temple was and stuff. It was a good experience for me! When Elder Bednar was closing the devotional. he said he was going to do something that he does every time, and invited everyone to read the Book of Mormon cover to cover and mark in it every time it mentions "with the strength of the Lord we were able to do this" or "with the Lord we have the strength do this," and everything along the lines of that. I have embarked in this challenge and I'm excited for the insight I will gain from doing this!



So we are expecting a couple of baptisms in the coming weeks with a sister named Mary and a brother named Ofori. They were referrals from our ward mission leader and they were referred to us just before I came to this place and they have been coming to church. I'm excited to progress them towards baptism!

I like to take pictures.


So honestly I love missionary work. There is something special about bringing people unto Christ and I am so grateful I can literally be a part of others' eternal joy. So during my mission I have always used this scripture as a source of motivation for me. D&C 8:8. I am doing the work of the Lord and I have no doubts about coming on my mission. Yes sometimes the work is hard, sometimes people criticize you for your beliefs. Yes some people don't keep their commitments. But that doesn't change the fact that you have this knowledge. It doesn't change the fact that literally you are a part of the only true and living church on the face of this earth. I am happy to be a missionary! 



Now of course some of the best moments as a missionary are when you are seeing your investigator progress toward that commitment they have made for baptism and the crowning moment of missionary work is actually seeing your investigators being baptized. I want to share another couple of scriptures that have brought me great joy. D&C 18: 10 "Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of the Lord" and then we move down small to D&C 18: 15-17. Literally everyone is a child of God! He loves everyone; even those who don't love him. So as missionaries it is important that we try to see these people as God sees them "precious" and everyone you come in contact with or teach you need to do the best you can just to love them! The next verses let us know that if all our life we bring one soul unto Christ how great will our joy be! And then it tells us to think about your joy if you bring many! We are promised that we will be so happy if we bring souls unto Christ and this knowledge has been so comforting to me.

Right now I have helped only 5 converts. But I want to share an experience from one of my recent converts named Samuel Appiah. Samuel was my second convert when I was serving in Oda. I love this guy so much and I still talk to him often! After he was baptized, I really pushed the whole "follow the words of the prophets" and stuff so I was always bringing him Liahonas and stuff to read and I also bought for him a new Bible and Book of Mormon from the distribution center. One day he bought us cokes and crackers and I said "Oh Samuel, you are spoiling us. Thank you." and he said "Oh this stuff is nothing compared to the things you have done for me and the happiness you have brought me." 

Seriously guys this is why I do missionary work to bring people this happiness that I feel! I know this church is true . I know that Joseph Smith really did see God and Jesus christ and he was chosen to restore the church back on the earth. I know that we have a prophet who leads and guides this church. I know all of these things and keep them dear to my heart. If any of you have desires to serve, do it. Missionary work changes you for the better! I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

No comments: