Friday, June 10, 2016

Week 29: Coin Collecting Contest, Teaching Deep Doctrine, and I Can Cook!

Sorry for the late blog post this week.  I was attending Young Women's Camp as a leader.  
_________________________________________________________________________





Rant for the week: gosh man, you can never find a fan ice guy when you need them. By the way, fan ice is pretty much the closest thing to ice cream we have here and people sell them in carts. But there are about 4 of them squeezing their annoying horns all at once when you don't want a fan ice haha. The struggle is real.

Me and Elder Skog

I am a savage when it comes to people trying to cheat me. They think just because I am white I have no idea what is going on with the country. The cheating is so bad with the taxi drivers here. They try to give you this very high price. So when they do this I name the correct price. They come up with some excuse to why the price is the way it is and I just say "okay I'll find another taxi" then start to walk away. Then they realize they want money so they tell us to get in.


Well this week we found the most disgusting thing in our apartment. So Elder Skog was wondering why our apartment smelled like crap. So we started to try to find the solution...well let's just say we found a rotting mango... This was the most gross thing I have ever experienced in my life. Somebody missed the trash and now there were maggots and a rotting mango hidden behind some bags... We just burned everything it touched...
We Burn Stuff in Ghana

So for some reason my companion has this talent of finding old currency on the ground.  These people here just throw the old currency on the ground so we just find them. Like I have no idea how he does it. I guess I'm just blind. But in between lessons I find myself trying to find some when we are going to another lesson. Yes now it is a contest. But even if I try he still finds more than me.  So I end up getting the coins anyway because he feels bad for me.


This week I would say that I have been blowing the minds of Ghanians. I don't know what started to sparking my interest for deep doctrine. But it is something that I dig now haha. But pretty much I started to really dig deep into the Old Testament. I explained some prophecies in the Old Testament that have been fulfilled already. 1 being in Malachi 4:5 where it talks about how Elijah will be brought back before the great and dreadful day of the Lord. and then read in Doctrine and Covenants 110:13-16 where Elijah appeared in the temple to give Joseph Smith the sealing power, yeah i went there haha. You can also go read Isaiah 29:11-19 and make the connection for yourself. Send me an email saying what this means if you look it up. Just a little challenge from me to you.

This is how we preach in Ghana

Well my bike is being fake. So on Tuesday my gears and stuff kinda messed up. This eventually led to me having to get new pedals for some reason. So I was in a good mood because my bike was running smooth it was all fixed looking fresh and we get 3/4 of the way home and my pedal falls off... I was mad. So we walked all the way back to the place and cruising on the downhills and looked so dumb with a broken pedal in my hand. but went back and got it fixed....or I thought it got fixed. In the exact same spot, my pedal then wants to fall off again... I was so done. We just went straight home. We eventually got the bikes fixed.

Me and the Branch Mission Leader


Yo shout out to Aunt Melissa for giving me that book the first day I was to go on my mission. 'Memorable Stories with a Message' by Boyd K. Packer. I use it a lot---this week especially.  I have been sharing some of my favorite stories from the book to a lot of less actives and they really enjoy the stories and message.

My Mission Grandpa

Service experience for the week: This member in our branch here stepped on a nail in front of her house. We think some small boys did it as a prank. But us missionaries decided that we need to go sing to this woman who this had happened to. So we went over there Friday morning and sang Come, Come Ye Saints. I felt so good while we were singing. I felt like this is something that needed to be done. As we finished, we looked up at her and she was just crying. Guys this is why I do missionary work---to see the happiness of people! This experience has been a blessing to me!

Thanks for all the love and support!

No comments: