Monday, May 16, 2016

Week 26: Rough Week

Well, let’s start this weekly letter off with a positive note about the week! Man this country is so awesome. Literally the people here are so charitable. Just now I sent a small boy to go get me some water, maybe because I’m a little lazy. But that’s beyond the point lol. But another instance this week anyone will do service for you here. haha We have a shop lady near our house and I told her I don’t know how to make a really good stew so can you just tell me the ingredients and I’ll buy them and try to cook. This is when she offered just to make it for me. haha How am I going to turn this down?  So I guess that is the positive note.

This Wednesday will be my 6 month mark. I don’t even know how it has been this long already. That means I am 1/4 done! But I’m going to be honest with everyone right now. I sometimes wake up in the morning and think to myself "How will I do this for another 18 months?"  But that is partially because right now I am having a rough time, just companion
problems that I can’t really go into detail. But right now it is something that I can only just pray and hope these things get fixed!

I have learned something very important this week just by observation. When you are not exactly obedient, it makes proselyting not fun at all and brings contention. It makes mission not enjoyable at all and makes it seem like mission is going by so slow. Just trying to remember why you came on mission is what can drive you to make better choices, and really just realizing your love for the Savior. What has really helped me kinda stay motivated is just reading my mission call and just remembering how I felt when I first read it. I knew right away that this is the place where I needed to serve even though I had no idea where Ghana was on the map or never really had heard about it before.

Elder Koetting really hit it home this week at District Counsel Meeting and while I’m on the topic of Jesus Christ, I thought about this. We went around the room at DCM and we talked about people in our life that have shown us a good example of Christ-like things. So of course I shared about my parents and how they are really hard workers. They have church callings and just are always busy. I shared that not once have I heard them complain about how hard anything they are doing is. I haven't heard them say anything about their stress. This has been such a good example to me in my life. Like honestly, I have no room to complain when there are people struggling more than me, and have it harder than me. I then went into the Atonement of Jesus Christ and shared Mosiah chapter 14. It says in that chapter that He was beaten, mocked, spat upon and other things and not once did He open His mouth. Because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ, there is nothing that we can’t endure in this life. Let me tell you, Jesus Christ had it the
worst.

My mind kinda just has blanked out a couple of times this week. It is weird, sometimes I just zone out in lessons. So I was explaining baptism and how for it to be correct it needs to be done by the proper authority. I had a member explain the priesthood, so he spoke in Twi. Honestly, I don’t know what I was thinking but after the part about Priesthood power, I went right into receiving the gift of the Holy Ghost and how it is given without any explanation. I think I might be going crazy, or I just wasn't thinking because I have taught that lesson so many times before. haha

Well, I gave a talk at church yesterday. It was honestly a last minute thing. But I thought personally my giving the talk skills are kinda rusty. But plenty of members and the missionaries said that they felt the spirit strongly while I was talking. I gave a talk in church about the Priesthood. But we had to leave after Sacrament Meeting because my companion wasn't feeling well....

So yeah that was my week! I think my parents will include some of my written letter in this email.


_________________________________________________________________________

I will be typing up excerpts from his 2 handwritten letters soon.  Stay tuned for that! 

No comments: